[WEB4LIB] printing from IE 4.0

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Jan 26 14:56:31 EST 1999

> With the newer computers and
> browser, this dialogue box doesn't appear. I suspect that this is
> because of the increased speed of the new computers and that
> there is nothing we can do to ensure that the dialogue box
> continues to appear.

It actually has nothing to do with your computers, it's the browser and the
integration with the OS. The printing is taken over by Win95(98) when you
hit the print button.  The dialog box does not show up because it's now out
of the hands of the browser (unlike Netscape which keep control until the
very last moment.)  To cancel the print job you need to go into the Print
Manager by double-clinking on the printer icon that shows up in the system
tray.

The speed of your machines will come into play however if the document is
small.  A fast machine may process the print job fast enough to eliminate
the possibility of doing the steps listed above.

Only real solution is to use Netscape.  It's slower but gives you that extra
level of control over printing.

             Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
         Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
              Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                  www.bcr.org/~msauers
             The WWW Library Directory is @
             www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
          PGP Public Key available on request

       ‘It would be a gross understatement to say
       that the Telecommunications Act of 1996 is
                not a model of clarity.’
                   -- Antonin Scalia

  Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.