[WEB4LIB] Mixing NT4 & Netware3

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:48:51 EST 1999

I have Win 95 workstations logging into an NT Server first which then passes the
same logon to the Novell 4.x server.  If the logon is different for that user on
the Novell Server then the user will be presented a Netware Logon box as well.
I haven't tried the Netware Gateway approach.  The Network settings on the
public machines specify Microsoft as the primary client and I am using Policies
and Profiles.  Staff machines in offices are set to Novell as the primary client
so that they won't use NT policies but do logon to the NT second instead of
first.  So, I have to create a separate policy for each logon that is going to
use the public station because the default policy is no access to anything local
or network.  I use the same auto logon, using tweakui, on all public patron PCs
and I have a generic staff logon.  I only setup specific staff policies when
necessary.  If you don't setup an auto logon the Primary Client, from the Win95
Network settings,  logon will come up first be it NT or Novell and pass that
same logon and password to the second.  I chose separate logons so there would
be no Novell interference (broadcasts, etc,) from the NT  Server and the Novell
Server is administered outside of the Library.  I've been using this combination
for well over a year with pleasing results and have not had the need to use
third party security software although that may be speaking more for our patrons
than how secure the policies and profiles make the workstations.  I am also
running database search engines off of the Novell server which has a different
set of rights for the patron logon.  If you use policies, remember that the NT
policy editor is not compatible with the Win95 config.pol file, you need to use
the Win95 policy editor.

To directly address two of your concerns:
  Yes, the client will HAVE to logon to the NT Server first if you want to use
Policies.  The policy file config.pol has to reside in
\winnt\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts directory.  That is where NT checks for
policies when a user logs on.  I don't think your allowed to change that path
even in the user logon script option in the NT user database.

   Which is best?  It is my understanding that if you use the Netware Gateway
the NT machine authenticates users off of the Novell's user database.  I don't
know what other advantages or disadvantages there might be besides not having to
duplicate all or some logons.

Thomas