[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape profiles vs. logon ID

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Tue Jan 12 11:02:57 EST 1999

>Thought you might want this tidbit of info.
[notes on managing NT logon scripts stripped]
>Another book has a note  "Warning: You should not use the user environment
>profiles to start a program when the users log on unless the profile somehow
>depends on the user's name.  The Startup folder provides a much easier method
>for running programs automatically."   But it sounds like your use does
depend
>on the user's name.

Thanks.  I've actually already implemented a fix to my original problem
using your earlier suggestion of specifying the profile to use at runtime
via the -P"profilename" command line switch.  In short, I've created a
profile for each user, and I've created shortcuts which call the
appropriate profile and placed them into each user's Start Menu as
appropriate.

The single greatest disadvantage of this scheme is that it involves changes
made locally at the workstation registry to create and maintain the
different profile information.  The registry info can be locally
controlled, but replicating it across several machines as and when things
change may become a pain.

James