[WEB4LIB] Web database software?

Karen Harker KHARKE at mednet.swmed.edu
Fri Jan 22 10:05:04 EST 1999

We started using ColdFusion, with which we were able to develop 2 projects:
1) Residency Brochure Database (http://www.swmed.edu/cfdocs/library/residenc.cfm)
2) Quiz management program - this is password restricted, but it enables students to take quizzes online and get immediate feedback, and allows the instructor to get a report of their answers and their scores.

We have more planned on the way.  However, we are considering using MS Visual InterDev and ASP, now that we have a Windows NT server available.

I like ColdFusion because of its ease of use.  It really is not hard to learn and the tags provide many functions which would take lots of coding otherwise.

There is an article comparing these two products, but I can't remember the URL.  I'll get it up when I find it.

Karen R. Harker
Web Developer
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75235-9049
http://www.swmed.edu/home_pages/library/

>>> Feng Shan <fshan at iusb.edu> 1/22/99 8:55:38 AM >>>
Hi all,

Our library is considering moving some of our local databases onto the web
and therefore is looking for such software either commercially available
or as freeware, shareware. I understand that there are many existing
and many libraries do use them, but unfortunately I have no idea of them.
I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions of any sort.

Thank you in advance.

Feng Shan
Head of Computer Applications
Assistant Librarian