Blocking Email, Chat, and Game sites

elist-web4lib at ircam.fr elist-web4lib at ircam.fr
Tue Jan 19 12:09:19 EST 1999

The browser we use on all our public terminals (as I once wrote
here, on 7/26/97, the text is in the archives, available directly
as http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9707/0712.html, and more
detailed as http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9708/0231.html;
we use a newer version now) is tailored to allow for filtering of sites
and/or protocols (besides other security features mentioned in these
two articles).

So, for instance, all (or selected) "mailto:" URLs can be disabled,
telnet may be allowed for some sites and not to others, etc.

The configuration allows for either not allowing URLs (e.g., allow all
sites except selected ones) or allowing selective URLs (allow only
selected sites).

The choices are then a matter of policy.

Michael Fingerhut
Director, Multimedia Library		http://mediatheque.ircam.fr/
IRCAM - Centre Georges-Pompidou
Paris (France)