[WEB4LIB] Got Milk? Got Cookies? Got Authentication?

Richard Goerwitz richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Sat Jan 9 12:44:42 EST 1999

Tom Klingler wrote:

> 1-8-99
>
> Got Milk?  Got Cookies?  Got Authentication?
>
> The LITA Secure Systems & Services Interest Group is presenting an informal
> managed discussion at ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia on the use of cookies
> and tokens for authentication.

I supposed you'll also address the question of how cookies will be used
at kiosks (where you shouldn't just exit a browser, and where a cookie
may live through many, many user sessions - if in fact the institution
maintaining the kiosk permits cookies to be stored at all).

And I hope you'll also answer the criticism that domain-based cookies,
like the ones you're using, are positively the worst kind, because they
cannot easily be intercepted by reverse proxies.  Cookies (domain or
machine-based) can't be intercepted at all by URL-rewriting systems used
in many institutions, such as the UVa and Harvard.

And of course, cookies have been the subject of ongoing security con-
cerns, leading many people simply to turn them off.

Finally, it would be useful if you would discuss, in general, why no
other authentication method (browser plug-ins, reverse proxies, URL-
encoded session IDs, etc.) is workable here.

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0
For more info (mail, phone, fax no.):  finger richard at goon.stg.brown.edu