[WEB4LIB] Re: Simple script for executable file? Is there such a beast?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jan 8 08:07:11 EST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Hanan Cohen <hananc at bashan.co.il>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Friday, January 08, 1999 12:24 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Simple script for executable file? Is there such a
beast?

>Hi
>
>What you are looking for is called PERL. PERL is a script langauge. The
>interpreter sits on your server, any server. You write simple programs
>and call them from your web pages. Tne programs can do almost anything,
>including running an executable.

The original post was a little vague, but I believe the poster wanted the
ability for web pages to launch an executable *on the client* (i.e. my
server sends a web page that makes your PC start up some program it
already has installed).  If so, the many posts in the archive about
w3launch probably fit the bill.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu