[WEB4LIB] Web Catalogs

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 26 13:30:12 EST 1999

Steve,

If limiting the PCs to a single-use, for example OPACs only, is a concern or
a desire at your library, there are a number of options available to you.
Check through the web4lib archives for the details.  They can include:

1) Using Browser settings to lock-in the browser to predefined URLs.
See:  http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/lockin.htm

2) Use LMHOSTS file on the PC to limit access.

3) Use third-party software to limit access.

4) Use a Proxy Server to limit access.

There are probably others as well.  The first 2 options are free and 1-3 can
be done at the workstation level.  Number 4 is insituted at the network level
and may have other uses as well -- caching, etc.

All of these ideas are dependent on having enough workstations to meet demand
-- this is often easier to achieve in a library with many workstations as
opposed to one with only a few.  If you only have a few workstations, you'll
probably want to retain a level of flexibility that will allow these
workstations to be Internet stations and OPACs, etc.  If this is the case,
you'll need to look at other alternatives, like time-limits, signage, etc. to
ensure that all your workstations are not tied up in a single use (which may
or may not be a problem itself).

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library