Web Gateway vs Catalog

McBurney, Melissa K melissa.mcburney at pnl.gov
Fri Feb 26 10:37:05 EST 1999

Several staff members in my library are working on a vision project for upper
management.  One of the sections deals with how the electronic portion of our
library will be accessed by our users.  There are two (strong) opinions: the web
site vs. the catalog.  The catalog will be on the web soon, but the question is
whether we want to make users go through the catalog to find ejournals,
databases, etc., if we want to organize our resources through the web site, or
if we want a combination of the two.

I was wondering what others have done, what the trends are, any articles that
can be recommended, etc.

Please respond to me.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa McBurney
Assistant Director of Electronic Services
Hanford Technical Library,
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA 99352

phone: (509)372-7439