[WEB4LIB] Connecting an Access db to a Web page

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 25 17:15:55 EST 1999

I've just succeeded in putting up a test project using Microsoft Personal
Web Server and Access 97 to make small databases Web accessible.  One of
the biggest problems was finding the information I needed.

Books on Access 97 and Access 97 programming turned out not to be very
helpful.  You might find more information in books on Internet Information
Server since Personal Web Server is a slimmed down version of IIS.  One
book that is supposed to have good coverage of MS Web dbs is Internet
Information Server 4 Administrator's Guide by Allen L. Wyatt.  Another book
that I just picked up looks excellent: Choosing a Database for Your Web
Site by John Paul Ashenfelter.  It has a Web site at:
http://www.wiley.com/compbooks/ashenfelter/

I found some helpful starting places rummaging around in Microsoft's MSDN
library, for example:

Publishing Databases on the Intranet Using Personal Web Server and
Microsoft Access97
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period97/html/pws.htm

An Introduction To Two Approaches: Dynamic Publishing Over The Web
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/html/adj9823.htm

Setting Up a Personal Web Server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/office/html/settinguppersonalweb
server.HTM

There are detailed reference documents at this site for the various bits
and pieces you'll need like ODBC, Jet, and IDC/HTX.

Chris Gray
Library Systems Technician
University of Waterloo