[WEB4LIB] Web Site Statistics

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Feb 25 13:30:39 EST 1999

At 09:43 AM 2/25/99 -0800, David Fulton wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We are interested in finding a program that will help us keep track of
>usage statistics for each link on our web site. This would be a tool for
>determining which links we should keep over the long term and which
>to delete.  We currently use Web Trends but this only keeps stats for
>pages, not individual links. I would be grateful for any
>recommendations. Thank you.

Assuming you mean you want to know WHERE your users go outside of your own
pages, and how often, you can do this with a proxy server.  There is
nothing on YOUR system to log or track where folks go outside of your
server, no matter what log analysis software you use.

There are a variety of proxy servers available for various platforms.  If
you want an inexpensive commercial product for Win9x and WinNT, check out
www.wiinproxy.com for their product, which we find to be wonderful and
fast.  There is a shareware version that will run for sixty days.  They
have an educational discount too, but you have to ask for it. They'll not
volunteer that information.  With educational discount I believe the price
is under $300 for an unlimited
license.   http://lester.idbsu.edu/proxy1998.htm  shows a bit of proxy log
analysis for our proxy server.  The report only shows a small part of what
a WebTrends report on a proxy server can show, but it clearly shows the
most popular sites your users go to, the words they search on search
engines most frequently, etc.  Our collection development and reference
folks are beginning to use this information in their work.

Finally, IF you wanted to block various sites for whatever reason, the
proxy server will easily handle that, too.  (We block chat and free email
sites, plus game playing sites)

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/