[WEB4LIB] Re: XML Book

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Feb 25 11:57:23 EST 1999

>>The XML handbook / Charles F. Goldfarb, Paul Prescod  (Upper Saddle
River,
>>NJ : Prentice Hall PTR, c1998.)
>>

>...Well, not all reviews are that good.  See for example from Amazon:
><CITE>
>alain.nadeau at unifr.ch from Switzerland , February 22, 1999
>An extremely disappointing book
>One would have expected much more from the creator of SGML. As it stands,
>this book is a mere collection of "case studies" which in fact constitute
>little more than uncritical advertisement for the makers of fairly
>expensive products [...]
></CITE>

I'll agree with this.  I bought The XML Handbook sight unseen because
Goldfarb's SGML handbook is so highly regarded as an authoritative
technical work (it's almost universally called "The Bible of SGML").  The
XML Handbook isn't special, but it isn't the technical work I expected,
and probably doesn't differ from most of the other XML books out there.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu