[WEB4LIB] Re: Table of contents database

Judy Myers jm at UH.EDU
Tue Feb 23 10:32:11 EST 1999

Two responses to the posting below:

1) Are there other projects like this?

The most significant related project that I know of was the Subject Access
Project, conducted at the Syracuse University School of Information
Studies, reported in Atherton, Pauline, "Books are For Use, final report of
the subject access project to the Council on Library Resources," 1978. This
report was published as Syracuse Univ. School of Inf. Studies number
IST-10. There are also articles about this project. It entered tables of
contents and indexes, and covered books in the general collection. The
major finding was that they considered the data entry to be cost-effective
and the retrieval by these terms was much more effective than with typical
catalog searches. Before then, and even today, people are maybe too hung up
on controlled vocabulary. I think controlled vocabularies are great, but
the Citation Indexes and Biological Abstracts are useful tools without them.

2) A concern:

Maybe your reference books are different from ours, but in our library the
reference collection would be perhaps the least suitable for access by
table of contents -- and particularly if you didn't scan and enter the
index. So many of the reference tools arrange the content alphabetically,
they don't have much of a table of contents (it says something like
"Entries A-Z," and in effect the text serves as the index. On the other
hand, many reference tools have many more subject terms in their prefatory
matter than we include in the OPAC; this data would seem useful to me.

Judy E. Myers                              jm at uh.edu
Assistant to the Dean of Libraries         713/743-9805 (voice)
University of Houston Libraries            713/743-9811 (fax)
Houston, TX 77204-2091

-----original posting follows--------