Sun Java Plugin and OCLC and Browser versions

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Thu Feb 11 13:14:04 EST 1999

As Mr. Rutherford pointed out to me, there is a Sun Java Plugin that will
provide a consistent Java implementation with the different 4.0 browser
versions that may even speed up the Java access.  This will help, but it is
also yet another program to take up valuable disk space, and the 4.0
browsers are still bloatware themselves.  I guess that while I love new
technology and gadgets, I'm also not a fan of
new-technology-for-new-technology's sake, and that I'm maybe too big of a
believer or evangelist for cross-platform/cross-browser design (the old
"why not code the page for both 3.0 and 4.0 browsers?" mantra of mine).

Guess we will have to somehow find the monies to upgrade 3-4 dozen
computer's harddrives, as well as their RAM (and, for many, their
CPU's/mother boards) by this Fall...

Grumble, grumble,
whine, whine,
David Merchant
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
   http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
javascript list administrator:
   http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript