Internet Explorer 4 printing - solved

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Feb 9 14:43:58 EST 1999

Well, I don't feel too stupid because it was rather obscure.

As I am upgrading machines to NT4/SP4 and IE4, I will be moving from generic
accounts with no passwords to generic accounts which log in automatically,
which means they need a password.

In my experiments, I used the same public1 account as we already use, but with
a password.  Everything was fine until I tried to print.  Not only wouldn't it
connect, it was incrementing the bad login counter, so eventually that account
on the PC with the printer was locked out.

Eventually, it dawned on me the differing password would be a problem, so I
changed it back - but the account on the printer PC was already locked out, so
I still couldn't print.  I didn't figure this out until my assistant mentioned
that one of the public accounts on the printer PC was locked out again.  (Yes,
I had also caused it the first time. :-) )

Thanks to Todd at Southwest Texas SU for letting me know that someone else had
seen the same message.  It doesn't appear to have anything to do with mixing
SP3 and SP4, though.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org