[WEB4LIB] Password protection and Win95

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 04:58:44 EST 1999

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, David Merchant wrote:
> I forgot to change the subject line.  Also, after some emails in response I
> realize I need to add some more information: we don't have an NT network
> here, no NT workstations, no NT servers.  We are just now getting people
> upgraded from DOS and Win3.1 (on 286 and 386 machines) to Win95 (replacing
> mother boards and adding memory so we can do that).

If you want even the vaguest hint of security on your machines forget
doing a DOS/Win3.1 -> Win95/98 upgrade and go straight for a DOS/Win3.1 ->
WinNT upgrade.  Win95/98 is really designed for home use and has little or
no security.  I'd only give Win95/98 to trusted individuals (eg staff).
Here we have staff on Win95 and students on public lab WinNT machines.

Even if you use Novell Netware on the Win95 box people can cancel the
login banner.  Admittedly they won't then be able to use much in the way
of Novell services but if the Top Secret Data is on the machine's own
harddisc then its game over.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll