[WEB4LIB] Purpose of library websites

Mark Gooch Mark.Gooch at law.csuohio.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:09:53 EST 1999

I have also been considering these issues with the redesign of our Law School
site and our Library site.  I would answer that the purpose is some of each of
the points you list.  However, I would say the major emphasis is on the first
one.  The other emphasis I like to keep in mind is that we are providing
information or access points to information.  As a result, we don't need a lot of
glitz which only slows down the access to the information or requires the latest
version of Netscape or IE.  This only limits access.  Unfortunately we do have to
make some consideration for the "saleabilty" of the site in regard to possible
student recruitment which sometimes leans us toward more graphics than I might
prefer.

Mark

--
Mark D. Gooch                                Cleveland State University
Government Information Librarian   1801 Euclid Ave.
                            Mark.Gooch at law.csuohio.edu
                     http://www.law.csuohio.edu/lawlibrary/

"I guess we still have some bugs to work out,"
 --Bill Gates at Comdex 98 in Chicago as Windows98 crashed on him