blanking URL from browser address line

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sat Feb 13 01:18:21 EST 1999

Hi.  I can swear that I've seen information on this before, but some pretty
extensive searching hasn't turned it up.

We're using a perl script for user authentication to reach remote
databases.  The user fills in an ID and PIN, they're authenticated against
a user database, and then redirected to a licensed site that requires a
login and password.  What we'd like to do is have the URL not appear in the
browser address window, as it is possible for a semi-knowledgable user to
read the login and password from the total URL.  Naturally, this somewhat
compromises security.

As noted, I'm either crazy, or have seen before, a method of doing this
with O'Reilly Website 2.3.x, and perhaps with other servers as well.  It
seems it is an easy trick, but I'm drawing a blank.

Any assistance or suggestions appreciated.

thanks

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/