Subject area strengths and weaknesses on the web for academic research

Charity Hope chope at library.umass.edu
Fri Feb 12 19:49:31 EST 1999

Please excuse duplication (Web4Lib and LibRef).

Dear colleagues,

I am presenting a talk on web searching strategies for students to a group
of faculty members.  I'd very much appreciate any observations you may have
about subject areas or disciplines for which the web seems to provide
especially rich or meager information for undergraduate level, graduate
level, or faculty research?  For which subjects do you turn to the web (and
suggest it to your patrons) for academic research?

Brief or long responses welcome.  I'm hoping especially to have your
comments on resources for disciplines other than computer science,
networking, and information science -- but please send any comments on the
web for researching these high-tech subjects, too.

You can send responses directly to me if desired, although I imagine this
topic might interest others on the list.  We always hear that the web is
good for some subjects but not others...is this changing?

Thanks very much,

Charity Hope
Research Libraries Resident
UMass Amherst Libraries