[WEB4LIB] Organizing links pages

Kevin Justie kjustie at nslsilus.ORG
Fri Feb 12 14:11:47 EST 1999

>Do you know of any better methods to organize these links which are
>proliferating outside of our OPAC?  Is it possible to create metadata
>records for these links, put them in a database and then still product an
>html page which is easily browsable?

This is exactly what we've done in the Webrary Links area of our web site.
We have a database with over 500 links, with site name, URL, a Dewey call
number, annotation and descriptors for each. The database produces 14
different web pages (one for each Dewey hundred level, three specialized
subject pages, and a page of kids' links), and is also searchable (all
fields) through our web site; see
http://www.webrary.org/ref/weblinksmenu.html, and
http://www.webrary.org/ref/weblinkssearch.html.   The Reference and
Reader's Service staff maintain the database, adding and removing links as
necessary.  After any changes, they click a button in the database to
rebuild the page containing their changes; the result is a complete,
formatted web page immediately available on the web server.  Our server is
a Mac running WebStar, with Hypercard used for both the database and the
cgi interface.