[WEB4LIB] Organizing links pages

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 12 02:47:12 EST 1999

>Do you know of any better methods to organize these links which are
>proliferating outside of our OPAC?  Is it possible to create metadata
>records for these links, put them in a database and then still product an
>html page which is easily browsable?
>
>We would appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this problem.  Thanks

I'm having the same problem with the links generated by ResearchBuzz.
Since I don't have a lot of time to mess with programming, and want something
I can update easily, I'm using LinkBank ( http://www.linkbank.net )
which allows you to create a searchable subject index (like Yahoo) of
online links. It also supplies readers with a form through which they can
suggest links. You can cross-link HTML links to up to three catagories.
LinkBank checks the viability of your links every night and puts the
links into a "stale link" category that you can check at your leisure.

There are three things you should be aware of, though:
   - You have to build your own category structure.
   - You cannot list password-protected pages, since LinkBank checks the
veracity of a link before adding it to the database.
   - It costs $49 a year.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not affiliated, just impressed.

Hope this helps,

Tara

Tara Calishain                  calumet at mindspring.com
Internet research news -- now in yummy E-MAIL flavor!
http://www.coppersky.com/ongir/news