[WEB4LIB] Suppressing mailing list e-mail addresses

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Feb 2 21:11:05 EST 1999

The others are correct about Communicator's bcc but an alternative that I am
very pleased with is Pegasus Mail Client.  This program has been highly
rated at sites like Stroud's [ http://cws.internet.com/ ] "By far the best
freeware e-mail client on the Internet", tucows [
http://www.mcp.com/resources/internetsoftware/tucows_frame.html ] 5 gold
cows, and of course at  http://www.pegasus.usa.com/  .

The main reason for suggesting Pegasus is that you can create distribution
lists easily and EASILY set the To: field to anything.  So every one sees
the same To: such as "To: New Book List patron" .   Although with at least
Communicator 4.5 you can choose from the menu this path.
Communicator-->Addressbook  and choose New List from the menu bar.  But,
when I choose New Message and a list, all of the names come up with To:.
There might be an option to change To: to Bcc: somewhere or you would have
to go through and change each individually.  Back to Pegasus, you can use it
just for your lists if you want to.  Just don't tell it to automatically
check mail when it starts up and it gives you plenty of opportunity to do
that and its the default not to autocheck mail.  I'm divided on email
clients, this letter is with Netscape, but I use Pegasus to check two other
accounts one of which is my main working account.  Those of you familiar
with versions of Pegasus before 3.0 may be pleased with some conforming
Harris did on the recent versions such as right mouse button support and
others.  It is a POP only version, no IMAP.

Its good.

Thomas