Win98/Fortres

P or K Bary bary at qadas.com
Tue Feb 2 18:48:41 EST 1999

Excuse the cross posting... Anyone having problems with Fortres and
Windows 98?  Here's my sad tale:

We recently bought some new Gateways, which came loaded with Win98.  I
checked with Fortres before they arrived, and was told that there are
three utilities that need to be added as privileged apps.  They are
C:\windows\taskmon.exe (files not to protect: applog.ind),
c:\windows\system\mstask.exe(*.* and *), and scanregw.exe (*.*).

That change solved problems on some Gateways, but on the others we're
still having boot problems.  The problem we're having is that the PCs
will get as far as the Novell client login (the Win 98 version).  At
that point they will sometimes freeze while executing the login script.
But more typically they will execute the script, and then freeze while
Norton 5.0 scans, with the desktop visible, but before the desktop icons
appear. If we take Norton out of the equation, they still freeze.

Another wrinkle:  The boot problems are inconsistent.  Sometimes some of
the PCs boot fine, other times they don't.  There doesn't seem to be a
pattern about which PCs will fail to boot at any given time.  If we
reboot several times, a problem PC may come up, but the next time we
boot it, it might freeze again.  If we disable Fortres, it boots okay
every time.

I've emailed Fortres again, but haven't gotten a reply yet.  Anyone out
there solved this one?

Karen Bary
Arapahoe Library District
Littleton, Colorado