[WEB4LIB] Re: web publishing process

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Feb 4 10:26:55 EST 1999

Mark,

I recently moved from a position where I was hand-coding all my pages and was
able to tweak to my heart's content to an environment where everyone uses
FrontPage to create their web pages.  I think what you'll find is that the
majority of users need to be prodded just to create pages in a WYSIWIG editor.
Some users will be enthusiastic page creators and a very occasional user will
actually be interested enough in HTML to go digging into the code.  Unless you
are willing to go to the trouble of either:

1) Following behind everyone and cleaning their code up for them
2) Taking over all the work and doing the code yourself

you are going to have to accept the fact that code-bloat is going to take
place.  Unless you have a very small server or very bad editor, I don't think
you'll find that the bloat is worth the time it would take to go back and clean
it up.  The only exception to this would be those situations where the editors
are creating such bad code that the page "breaks' in one of the major browsers.
If it really is a concern, make sure you keep your hands on the most prominent
pages so that you can keep them clean and lean.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Techician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI