sharing ISDN

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Sat Feb 6 15:59:09 EST 1999

Steve,  you should be able to assign an Internet routable IP address (ie
non RFC 1918) to the Linux box, and still have the router do NAT.  The
router's documentation should have step by step instructions on how to do
that.

What you'll want to be careful of is what type of traffic do you want to
trigger the ISDN line to come up?  Windows boxes generate tons of
broadcasts on UDP ports 137 and 138, so you'll probably not want to allow
that traffic to bring the line up, or it'll be up all the time.  Outgoing
DNS traffic, email, web traffic you'll probably want to have the router
bring up the line for.

Also, remember that when the line is down, the Linux box will be
unreachable and can't accept incoming email.  To handle that you'll
probably want to have another mail server (one which is on a full-time
link) take the incoming mail for you.

Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax