[WEB4LIB] Re: Pages about search engines

Marty Williams marwil at terra.net.au
Sat Feb 27 05:37:50 EST 1999

We are FINALLY restructuring our library service to incorporate 'new'
directions in librarianship (sounds like such a dated term doesn't it), like
web development, electronic information and training. Is anyone willing to
share a snapshot of their library structure to help us with development of
ours?

For comparison we are a public library network of 6 libraries post current
council amalgamation, including 2 joint use school/community and one joint
use tafe/community.

Pre amalgamation the library was traditionally structured (childrens
services. adult service etc). Amalgamation led to a new structure of
Operations (catalogue, rostering etc.) and Collection management AND a new
team called Programs and Marketing which incorporatewd everything else, and
of which I am now Team Leader. This includes childrens and adult programs,
refernce services, electronic information, web site maintenance, research
service, business research service, tafe library management, internet
training, community information .....and I'm sure there was something else -
all with 8 staff!. So I'm keen to raise the importance of some of these
'newer' roles in our new structure - any examples would be most useful.

Thanks
Marty