[WEB4LIB] Re: password protection and win95

Glen Davies glen at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Mon Feb 8 17:38:55 EST 1999

Hi

You need to run poledit (available on win95 install CD) and select
File - Open Registry. Then double click the Local Computer icon. If
you look under Network - Logon, there is an option to "Require
validation by network for windows access", tick this and then exit
and save changes to registry. This will prevent anybody running
win95 unless authenticated on the network. An easier way would
be to find the relevant registry key and export it to a file and then
import it into each machine, this would save running poledit on
each machine.

> Speaking of password protection, the windows logon password protection is
> lame.  If a person puts in a wrong password, it does not let you in.  But,
> if you decide to not put one in at all and just hit cancel, it lets you in.
>  Hello?  That's protection?  ("Halt, what is the password?"   "I don't want
> to tell you."  "Ok, you can enter...").  Any ideas of how to configure
> Win95 to prevent circumventing the Windows logon password dialog box?  I
> know that any solution will probably only be slightly better than the lousy
> protection it gives now, but any improvement would be nice.  We're more
> interested right now with keeping the honest honest.  We'll work on
> tightening up more later, as time and monies permit.
>
> TTFN,
> David
> Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
>    http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
> javascript list administrator:
>    http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript

Glen Davies