[WEB4LIB] mapping 95 to NT workstation

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Mon Feb 8 12:21:44 EST 1999

At 08:41 AM 2/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I am trying to figure out how to map a drive on a Windows 95 computer to
>a shared folder on a Windows NT workstation.  Right now the Windows 95
>computer can see the NT workstation in the network neighborhood, but
>will not let me access any of the shared devices on the workstation.  Is
>there any way of accomplishing this?

To connect to any Windows NT machine (workstation or server) from a Windows
95 machine running the Client for Microsoft Networks, you must have logged
onto the Windows 95 client machine with a username and password which is
valid for the NT machine.

In other words: go to the NT workstation, and open the User Manager (from
the Administrative Tools (common) group in the Start menu).  Create a new
user with the same username with which you will log onto the Windows 95
machine.  Set the password for that user to the password with which you
will log onto the windows 95 machine.  Close the User Manager.  Go back to
the Windows 95 machine, logout the current session, and logon with the
username & password you just created on the target NT machine.

If you change your password, you will need to change it on the NT
workstation as well, or you will lose access to the shared resource.

This is Microsoft's idea of a pretty good way of doing things...  Bah.

James