Mixing character encodings in a page - problem with latin-1 entities

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at ust.hk
Mon Feb 22 23:07:09 EST 1999

I am trying to figure out how include an umlaut character on a predominantly Chinese language page.  The 'u' with umlaut is represented as 'ü' in latin-1, but the page is using big5 coding.  UTF-8 might recognize it, but I can't find anyway to make it all work together.  Anyway, suggestions are welcome.

I have tried removing the meta charset tag, using a Content-Language tag, using SPAN STYLE settings (and probably making mistakes with some of them), and even variations of the FONT tag.  I have seen a sample page mix languages on a UTF-8 page, but not mix encodings.

I would prefer a solution which is cross-platform and works on Netscape and MSIE [at least the newest versions :)].

Sample Page: http://library.ust.hk/test/umlaut.html

Note that this page does contain one version which displays the umlaut correctly on most English Windows PCs with Chinese enabling software (the 3rd link on the list).  This is not standard, and does not work on Unix, Mac, and on Chinese Windows.

I don't think there is currently a solution, but I would love to be surprised.  :)

-Ed Spodick

- - - - -
Edward F Spodick, Systems Librarian - lbspodic at ust.hk
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library
tel:  852-2358-6743    fax:  852-2358-1043