[WEB4LIB] Re: How to submit form and forward user to another

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Feb 22 19:36:36 EST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Johanne-Berit Revheim <johanne.revheim at ub.uib.no>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Date: Monday, February 22, 1999 6:39 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: How to submit form and forward user to another

>At 14:50 22.02.99 -0800, Donald Barclay wrote:
>>Does anyone know of a more-or-less simple way to set up a web form so that
>>when users fill out the form and click the "Submit" button they are
>>automatically sent to some other webpage?...
>>

>When I do this, I let the form action be a cgi-bin script or ASP page that
>give a blank page, containing a redirect meta tag, as result.
>(<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh” CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.....">)

I've mentioned before (which obviously doesn't stop me from mentioning
again) that not all browsers will honor this META tag--Opera may or may not
depending on user settings, and Lynx may honor it, but not in the way you
expect.  In addition, some browsers' Back buttons will get terribly confused
by this.

If you're dealing in CGI, don't rely on HTTP-EQUIV hacks in HTML; you've got
access to the real HTTP headers themselves.  As others have already posted,
you want "Location: " followed by an *absolute* URL, followed by a blank
line.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu