[WEB4LIB] Re: FP2000

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Dec 28 11:26:29 EST 1999

At 10:25 AM 12/28/99 -0500, Jennifer Heise wrote:
>Do you run a Frontpage MS Server?

We run O'Reilly WebSite under NT4SP5 with FrontPage 2000
extensions.  Before that we used the FP98 and FP97 extensions on same server.

>How do you train your staff not to go
>straight for the bright shiny non-compliant stuff in FrontPage?

They learn quickly that this is not a cool thing to do.  A few have left up
some blinky-flashy-ugly stuff on intranet, but I don't really care about
that.  Besides, I'm not a cop.  Actually, peer pressure has done most of
the work on convincing them not to use weird flashy stuff.  Of course I
started beating that into their heads clear back when <blink> first was
created by NS.  I also encourage them to check their pages at various
resolutions and in both NS and IE.  But again, I don't enforce, and don't
really have to.

>Note that older versions of Front Page produced pages that did not work
>well in other editors, or on other servers than Microsoft's.

I don't really understand that, as all versions of FP have produced good
old HTML pages (though we can argue about the quality, conciseness, etc,
forever....and that's a religous war I won't get into).  Original FP (which
I also used a few times) was pretty crummy.  97 was a bit better.  98 was
quite a lot better.  2000 is an order of magnitude better than any of the
earlier ones.

But going back to the original FP I've run some FP pages on WebSite with FP
extensions with no problems.

happy y2k

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165