of mouse balls and such

Deanna Collison collisod at uhls.lib.ny.us
Mon Dec 27 10:05:41 EST 1999

I've had a lot of funny experiences with people who have no idea what a
computer is or how to operate it. One day soon after installing our new
OPAC PC's, I noticed a patron standing in front of it  looking at the
screen. When asked if she needed help, she replied "no". She stood there
for a few more minutes and my attention was drawn elsewhere. Pretty soon
I hear a low murmuring from behind the monitor. She was talking to it
like it was a computer from the show Star Trek! She thought she could
give it voice commands! I tried to keep a straight face when I went over
to help her, but it was hard!
Peace, Deanna Collison