journals online

spober at manhattan.edu spober at manhattan.edu
Sat Dec 25 01:19:05 EST 1999

Earlier this year I did a consolidated browsable list of links to the
journals we had access to through the various vendors (UMI, Lexis-Nexis,
etc.) at the time:
http://web1.manhattan.edu/library/journals/jinfo.html

That was done by putting the journal lists from the vendors into
spreadsheet program, doing various sorts, then adding HTML to link to
the specific vendor sites.  It was a little tedious to do but not
particularly challenging from a technical standpoint.

However, some of the links posted here were searchable journal databases
and very impressive.  Could some of the creators of the searchable lists
tell us a little about just how they created those?

Also, a related question for those of you who create and maintain these
journal databases.  What are you doing about the journal lists from
Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe?  The downloadable source database does
not distinguish full-text titles from those for which only abstracts are
availabl (or at least it didn't do this the last time I downloaded it.)
Their own searchable source list is also somewhat buggy, in that the
links to "Search This Title" sometimes go to the wrong database segment.

I went to some of the library sites that had searchable lists from the
URL's posted on Web4lib and I notice that for the individual journal
records, the links usually go either to the main gateway page into the
vendor's site or else they link to the vendor's journal list.  I know
that for selected titles, a few libraries have chosen to write URL's
that link directly to a search for the individual publication, but AFAIK
those links are usually done by hand-coding.  Still, that would be ideal
for most users - to click from the library's list of journals available
in full-text directly to the search page that specifies a search in that
specific publication.  Has anyone managed to automate the creation of
those links for any of their vendors?

Best,
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist