[WEB4LIB] Re: Uploading graphics

Dennis Moser dennism at library.tmc.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:30:49 EST 1999

Oh, boy. Before this gets TOO far:

What was meant as a gentle jibe at Windows users has gotten out of hand.
Here's the offending phrase that apparently started things...

"As for using upper case, you can usually tell who's using a Microsoft
product for serving their pages since they announce that one should NEVER
use upper case in file names. Use what makes sense...just keep it
well-organized. The real problem (on almost ANY platform...can't think of
any right away to the contrary) is having SPACES in the file names. (I did
see some in your directory/path names in your code...)"

There's nothing in there that's "incorrect" with regard to NT...nothing in
there that mentions any SPECIFIC Microsoft products. As for any subsequent
postings that might have contained erroroneous information about such
products, I cannot take credit.

Lighten up...my main point was that one's approach for naming MUST be
consistent. That isn't such a no-brainer as some would suggest. Those of us
who are daily immersed in code need to remember that there are some
neophytes on this list and what we take to be common sense may not be so
common.

What really matters is that Cathy Cox got her images to appear: she probably
needs to be looking at what caused her file name extensions to change, but
hey! that's for another discussion.

Sending a million "Mea culpas" to Redmond, I retreat while wishing Holiday
Cheer for all who participate (an Amazing Full Moon this morning!),

Dennis Moser, MILS, Web Librarian
John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center
Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
1133 M. D. Anderson Blvd, Houston, TX 77030-2809
dennism at library.tmc.edu