[WEB4LIB] Re: Uploading graphics

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Dec 22 11:36:45 EST 1999

At 04:51 AM 12/22/99 -0800, Debra Lords wrote:
>Actually, planning on case insensitivity is incorrect.  Depending
>on the WebServer (not the OS of the box, but the WebServer
>Engine), case sensitivity can be a factor.
>
>Compare:
>http://www.cs.utah.edu/~bean/research.html
>http://www.cs.utah.edu/~Bean/research.html
>http://www.cs.utah.edu/~bean/Research.html

No one said that you should plan on case insensitivity.  The message said
that on MS's NT and IIS it was insensitive.  And that was said in response
to a specific incorrect comment about NT.

I think we're all in agreement that you should ALWAYS use lower case, NEVER
use spaces in a file name, in order to maximize ease of access.

My personal suggestion is that you never use underscores, as they're easily
missed by the novice when they get hidden by the underlining in a link.  I
also always use . (periods, dots) between parts of file names when I want
to distinguish words for another reason.  They're much easier to type than
an underscore or a hyphen.  o-)

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165