[WEB4LIB] RE: Article from Chronicle

CAROLYN ROKKE CROKKE at sacramento.lib.ca.us
Fri Dec 17 21:27:29 EST 1999

My 2 cents worth:

I lived in central Illinois from 1994 until this year.  When I was given the "mission" to create a library web page, there was no place to take a class.
Even the private companies (which charge a fortune anyway) were scrambling to put something together.  I signed up three times at the community college (summer, fall, then spring) before a class finally got off the ground.  I started the class in the spring of '98 - 2 months after I'd
finshed creating the initial web site.  I used Netscape Gold, found it was easier to write HTML after attending an ILA pre-conference where I learned that tables were the key to it all, but really winged it.

Was it a professional looking page?  NO!  But the content was good :-)

I'm sure it partly depends on where you lived when web creation was newly popular, whether there was even a class to be taken.

Carolyn

Carolyn Rokke
Automation Program Manager
Sacramento Public Library