Article from Chronicle

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 17 12:14:54 EST 1999

David King (David at KCLIBRARY.ORG) wrote:
>This survey was sent in Jan '97, which means that those librarians' web
>sites were created in 95-96. Question: how many formal classes WERE THERE
>in 95-96?

We (UC Berkeley Library) had started full-blown HTML classes for
our own library staff by February 1995, and repeated almost monthly
throughout that year. This was in support of library staff to assist in
developing our server, which was publicly announced that Fall (it was
actually available much sooner, however). But what we found was
that offering the classes was easy. Having staff attend, and then
do something with what they learned, was quite another thing.
Roy