[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 1659

Helga Arlington helga.arlington at adls.org.nz
Sun Dec 12 15:37:14 EST 1999

The kitchen junk drawer is slightly off as a metaphor for the Internet too,
as the owner originally assembled the collection in it, and will recognise
all of the pieces retrieved - and will have at least half of an idea what
should or might be there. Even the world's collective junk drawer doesn't
really work, as that drawer isn't usually where you put treasures, only the
things you are not quite sure where else to put!

Maybe we have to fact the fact that we can't have a metaphor from the past -
the idea of so much material, written or photographed or recorded for so
many purposes, at so many levels of quality, being able to be retrieved from
one's home PC - is not analogous with anything we have ever known. Being
able to speak to anyone else in the world who had a telephone must have been
a similarly mind-shifting experience - but that developed over long years.
Likewise writing and having it reproduced by printing - and so speaking to
the world. That the web has introduced the new paradigm so rapidly is what
leaves us reaching for metaphors.....
Regards
Helga

Helga Arlington