[WEB4LIB] Collecting Statistics

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:01:39 EST 1999

I use WebTrends also but I include almost all of the information
WebTrends allows to bo put into a report except ads which doesn't matter
anyway because we have no ads.  I include all data because I have the
disk space and this provides any information someone may want without
having to generate a new report.  I am very pleased with WebTrends and
its report format which allows you to choose tables, graphs, or both for
output on most fields.  My index page to WebTrends Reports is at:

http://www.library.appstate.edu/Web_Statistics/Library/webtrends/

Sometimes I also generate a report from the Netscape server admin
interface which uses a program called lganalyz.exe that comes with the
server.  This is just for comparison purposes to see how each interprets
the log info.  Lganalyz presents the report in a full text form similar
to analog.exe but no graph lines.  The most recent report with this
generator is May 99.  The index page for the Netscape report generator
can be found at:

http://www.library.appstate.edu/Web_Statistics/Library/Netscape/index.html

Thomas

cbickner wrote:

>      What kinds of programs/mechanisms are people using to collect computer
>      use statistics?  We use WebTrends for Internet stats and use the
>      following three numbers for reports and sound bites.
>
>      User Session -- A session of activity (all hits) for one user of the
>      web site. A unique user is determined by the IP address or cookie. By
>      default, a user session is terminated when a user is inactive for more
>      than 30 minutes.
>
>      View (Page) -- Each request for a particular web page. Also referred
>      to as an Impression or a Page View.
>
>      and the ever problematic:
>
>      Hits -- An action on the web server, such as when a user views a page
>      or downloads a file.
>
> Carrie Bickner -- Web Coordinator
> The New York Public Library - Branch Libraries

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine