[WEB4LIB] Page redirects (was LibraryLand Index update)

Chiara Fox fox at rowland.org
Tue Dec 7 11:59:55 EST 1999

Hello Jerry and the rest of the List-

I am in the process of updating our Web site and have redone the
structure of the files on the server.  The domain name is the same,
but many pages have been moved, renamed or removed.  I realized that
this is going to cause broken links, and I have tried to outline
steps to help minimize this (such as emailing Websites that link to
us with the updated URL, updating our 404 error page, etc.).

I have created html redirects for our most popular pages, but I'm
still not sure that this is the best solution.  We use WebSTAR on a
Mac server and I know that I have a few options.  I could create
scripts that will redirect a request, use aliases to the new file, or
use the old html redirects.   Does anyone know if there are other
options for WebSTAR?

Does anyone have any input or opinions as to the best method I should
use?  I want to insure that users get to the new page, but I want
them to also realize that the URL has changed.

Thanks for your help!

-Chiara Fox

>The LibraryLand Index was updated this morning; no new resource
>sites were added to the Index for this reindexing, but we do now
>have our own domain name: http://www.librarylandindex.org/  (which
>still takes you to the Berkeley SunSite) ...and we know a lot more
>about html redirects vs. web server redirects vs. mapping domains
>from one DNS server to a different host...
>Jerry Kuntz
>Ramapo Catskill Library System
>jkuntz at rcls.org

_____