Design for access to Electronic Databases

peterson, glenn gpeterson at hclib.org
Mon Dec 6 12:48:48 EST 1999

Hennepin County Library recently began offering a new feature for access to
electronic databases we are calling "My Reference Tools".

>From approx. 60 databases currently offered, patrons can select those titles
they use most frequently for display on their personal page. A pop-up menu
at the bottom of the page allows subject access to the complete collection
of titles. Remote users have the option to have their page appear
automatically when they click on Reference Tools (uses cookies) or bookmark
their page. Patrons at library, or other shared, workstations can login to
their page using their name and barcode number.

You can see how we set this up at:

http://www.hennepin.lib.mn.us/pub/search/reference.cfm

Click on "Personalize this Page". Cold Fusion by Allaire is the supporting
software for this application. Suggestions for improvements are welcomed!

                    Hennepin County Library
Glenn Peterson                gpeterson at hclib.org
Internet Librarian            http://www.hennepin.lib.mn.us
12601 Ridgedale Drive         Voice: 612-847-8659
Minnetonka, MN 55305          Fax: 612-847-8600