[WEB4LIB] RE: IE 5/NT installation problem

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Sat Dec 4 09:03:02 EST 1999

P. Michael McCulley wrote:

> In a similar vein, but desktop stand-alone at work, I'm having troubles
> running the NT4.0 with the AOL 5.0 Client. The system had IE4.0 on it, and I
> upgraded to IE5.0 (thinking that would be more robust for AOL!), and
> downloaded and installed AOL 5.0. The TCP/IP LAN connection works fine to
> connect to AOL, and all AOL function are there -- except there's NO Web
> access inside the client --no search, no URLs work inside the search window,
> etc.
>
> Stand-alone, both Communicator and IE 5.0 work fine --but not within the AOL
> 5.0 client. The AOL help staff said, unfortunately, NT isn't a supported
> platform, so they can't help. Our helpdesk also has no experience with AOL
> clients so that's a washout for help :).

AOL does not 'support' NT, and they have no version which claims to be
NT compatible.  And the problem is generally there's no browser access
to the web.  One of my corporate clients has had ongoing discussions
with AOL over several months.  Their official policy is that they do not
support NT.  They mention that some customers have had 'luck' using AOL
3.0, the 16 bit version, but they still will not support it.

Dennis Brantley - mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.  http://www.dati.com
Library Information Access Technology
Internet/Remote Access - Thin Client Computing - CD Networking
Voice (770) 339-6554  FAX (770) 682-0629