metaphore

Leslie Starasta lstarasta at lccs.edu
Fri Dec 10 14:45:47 EST 1999

Previously when leading Internet training I have used a similar metaphor to
"Books on the floor" which may satisfy those who feel the comparison of the
Internet with a library is a poor analogy.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
source I used it from with me and I don't recall the metaphor exactly.
However, the metaphor loosely went something like this:  The Internet used
to be like a library with no catalog and no librarian and the books move
during the night.  Now the Internet is like a library with no catalog, no
librarian, all the books move around every night, and reproduces
exponentially.

Leslie
Information Services Librarian
Jessie C. Eury Library