[WEB4LIB] Re: "books on the floor" metaphore

kliss at hbs.edu kliss at hbs.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:43:19 EST 1999

A couple of venerable Net figures -- Ed Krol and Mitch Kapor -- were quoted
along these lines in late 1992 (see below), but I bet someone can find it
earlier.

"What we had was a library where all the books were dumped on the floor and
there was no card catalogue," Ed Krol, author of "The Hitchhikers Guide to
the Internet," said. "Now there's a card catalogue and people are starting
to put the books on the shelves."
-- "Getting up to speed on the computer highway," by Joshua Quittner,
Newsday, November 3, 1992

Mitch Kapor, the founder of Lotus Development Corp. who is now head of the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, a group that "seeks to develop public
policies to maximize the social potential of new computer and
communications technologies," likened Internet to a library where all the
books are dumped on the floor in no particular order.
-- "Arctic one small step for Internet users," by Robert E. Calem, New York
Times News Service, Globe and Mail, December 9, 1992

Ken Liss
Editor, HBS Working Knowledge
Baker Library, Harvard Business School
http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu