[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape Communicator floating toolbar (fwd)

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Dec 3 10:37:19 EST 1999

Katie,

The best solution to this problem is to upgrade to the Standalone version
of Navigator - release 4.08.  This has all of the mail and editor functions
stipped out including the floating tool bar.  Also, this version of
Navigator is the most stable available, especially in implementation of
Java and Javascript support.  It is available at:

http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html

If these workstations are only being used as OPACs, you might want to look
at my help pages that explain how to do things like disabling short-cut
keys and running Navigator in Superkiosk mode. These are available at:

northville.lib.mi.us/tech/netscape.html

If you have to stick with 4.04, you might want to explore using Netscape's
Client Customization Kit.  I haven't used it at all but it does allow you
to create custom "netscape.cfg" files, which I believe would you allow you
to lock this component down.  Maybe someone who has used the CCK could add
more.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library