Disabling Netscape buttons

Stefano Bargioni bargioni at usc.urbe.it
Fri Dec 3 06:41:37 EST 1999

Peter Schlumpf <schlumpf at nslsilus.org> wrote:

> I have the same problem too.  I'm developing a public access Internet kiosk
> and have to lock down Netscape as much as possible.  There is a switch you
> can use in the prefs.js file that sets the seach button to an arbitrary
> URL.  I don't think there's a corresponding switch for the "My Netscape"
> button.
>
> My solution so far is using a proxy server to block access to unwanted
> sites and I expect this to work for the My Netscape button as well.  The
> user will get an error message from the proxy server; a clumsy solution,
> but it's better than no solution at all, and I planned to use the proxy
> server anyway.
>
> I really, really, really wish for a browser with just simple navigation
> tools (back, forward, reload, home, stop) and NO silly redundant features
> that server purely marketing purposes (My Netscape, Shop, etc.), and that
> doesnt require jumping through hoops and employing fancy tricks just to
> secure and customize a browser.
>
> Peter Schlumpf
> schlumpf at nslsilus.org

Peter, the solution using proxy is good. We use the same idea.
Also you can consider to configure the default gateway of your kiosk using
access lists, if your router allows it.

About browsers for kiosks, IMHO Windows is not the solution.
The best solution is any browser in a Macintosh environment, using At Ease
product, that allows any kind of control over the client (floppy, applications,
...) for more than one user (anonymous without password, librarian,
administrator,...).
And if you need to modify the application program, you can alterate menus,
buttons and more using ResEdit.
Bye. Stefano
--
Dott. Stefano Bargioni
Pontificia Universita' della Santa Croce - Roma