Blocking free mail services

Alex Wade awade at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 31 15:40:07 EDT 1999

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:23:15 -0600 Dan Lester <dan at 84.com> wrote:

>>At 08:11 AM 8/31/99 -0700, Richard.Griffin at orst.edu wrote:
>>We want to be able to block access to Hotmail and other free mail services
>>on our public PCs and we already have a proxy server loaded for other
>>purposes.  Does anyone know of any software that would allow us to block
>>mail without using a proxy server?
>
>Run a second proxy server on a different port.  Easy as pie.

Pie is hard.  Cake is easy.  The following does not need to use a proxy at
all, simply a proxy auto config file.  Piece of cake.

1. Write a proxy.pac to redirect http requests for the various mail servers
to a page which explains use policies.  Everything else, RETURN DIRECT (or
through your current proxy, if that is what you are doing currently).
2. Lock down your public browsers so that the user cannot remove/delete the
proxy.pac setting.

---Alex

Distributed Computing Systems | awade at u.washington.edu  206/616.2867
Univ. of Washington Libraries | http://faculty.washington.edu/awade/