[WEB4LIB] Re: More MS sabatoge of Netscape?

Thomas Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Thu Aug 26 13:46:38 EDT 1999

One of my agravations earlier this year was that the online version of the
e-rate application could only be completed with Microsoft Explorer 4.0 and not
with any version of Netscape.  Apparently you can construct web pages that will
only work in Microsoft Explorer.  I try to avoid proprietary sites.

John Hambleton, Academic Information Services wrote:

> Yes. I've long suspected that MickeySoft detects Netscape Browsers
> and the user gets "walked around the park".
> Paranoia? One wonders.
> Mr. H
>
> At 09:27 AM 8/25/1999 -0700, you wrote:
> >Has anyone else experienced difficulty viewing Microsoft sites with
> >Netscape browsers?  I have Netscape 4.61 and it keeps loosing it on the
> >MSNBC web site.  Specifically, I loose the ability to click on hypertext
> >links (I can click, but the new page isn't opened), and closing and
> >re-opening the browser doesn't solve the problem--I have to restart the PC.
> > I do have the necessary MS plugins for this site.
> >
> >Also, earlier in the summer, one day I suddenly lost the ability to search
> >the Microsoft support site --the pull down menus and text entry boxes just
> >didn't appear on the screen.  That seems to be resolved, for now, by
> >upgrading to the latest version of Netscape.
> >
> >Does anyone have any information about known bugs with Netscape and MS ASP
> >pages?  Since Microsoft seems to be providing ever more content on the Web,
> >if it is a purposely built in incompatibility, it would seem users are
> >forced to use Internet Explorer to view these sites.  Of course this poses
> >a problem for libraries--the choices seem to be, just use IE on public
> >terminals, or constantly upgrade Netscape as these incompatibilities are
> >discovered.
> >
> >Last, it seems disingenous to me for Microsoft to be making a case for
> >"open standards" when it comes to instant messaging at the same time as
> >they are constantly thwarting HTML standards.
> >

> >*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> >Alicia Abramson
> >Director, Library Information Systems
> >University Library
> >California State University, Sacramento
> >abramson at libraryserver.lib.csus.edu
> >*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

> * John S. Hambleton                LMS      6.5.0 *
> * Olson Library                    GTO      6.5.0 *
> * Northern Michigan University     CICS     2.x   *
> * Marquette, Michigan 49855        MVS/ESA  4.x   *
> * Phone:  906-227-2741                            *
> * E-mail: jhamblet at nmu.edu                        *
> *   Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.    *

Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library