Expanding Library Services

Lorrie knight lknight at vms1.cc.uop.edu
Thu Aug 26 12:08:16 EDT 1999

Hello:
Does your library have an Information Commons, Info Arcade, or similar
computer area?  We are trying to identify academic libraries that offer
students an integrated computing/research environment, i.e. provide
computer workstations with web-based library databases and catalogs as well
as e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and other software applications.
If this is the case in your library, please take a minute to tell us:

1.  What do you call your library computing facility? (for example,
Information Commons, Information Arcade, etc.)

2. Library staff who work in this area during the academic year include
(all that apply):
a. Reference librarians
b. Paraprofessional staff
c. Student technical assistants
d. Other

3. The following service points are available in your "information commons"
area:
a. Reference desk
b. information desk
c. computer or technical assistance "desk"

4. How many computer workstations are available in your Information Commons
area?

5.  If we need additional information regarding your Information Commons
area, whom may we contact?

	Contact name:
Institution:
Phone #:
e-mail:

Thank you for your time!  Please forward this message to other libraries
that have an Information Commons concept, and please excuse duplication of
this survey due to multiple postings.

Craig Hawbaker
Lorrie Knight
Kathy Ray