[WEB4LIB] Re: Coffman and ILL

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Thu Aug 26 10:20:01 EDT 1999

Librarians have ALWAYS been in the information business.  I work in a city
of approximately 118,000 people.  As part of California's Universal
Borrowing system, we issue library cards to any state resident who
provides appropriate ID.

We're part of the Los Angeles urban sprawl  I routinely check the LAPL
and/or County of LA catalogs for resources we don't have, and refer our
borrowers to those systems.  We offer ILL services, but the problem--as
others have pointed out--is that there is no control over when the
resource will be available.  And just because a book, video, etc. is due
today, there's no guarantee that it will be RETURNED and made available
for another borrower today.

This is not the forum to discuss borrowers who seem to feel the library is
a "free" bookstore, and that materials are provided for them to keep.

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
"I really love baseball.  The guys and the game.  And I love the
challenge of describing things.  The only thing I hate--and I know you
have to be realistic and pay the bills in this life--is the loneliness of
the road."
--Vin Scully